25 May 2009

Picture of & letter written by Mary Smith Tillett



Here is a transcription of a letter written by our great-grandmother a century ago. It was addressed to Miss Nellie Cannon in Abilene, Texas, who later became Nellie Parramore, mother of Nellie Sellers. The Tillett and Parramore families were apparently very close! Nellie Sellers transcribed the letter; later on her daughter shared it with Sandra, who shared it with our mother Ione. Ione jotted on it that as children they called Mrs. Parramore "Aunt Nellie."

Mary Tillett, or Mamie as she was called by her husband, was in her late thirties and away from her four "dear children." Poppa Henry, the youngest, would have been only two-and-a-half years old then. (I don't know what kind of ailment put her in the hospital.) Oh, and the reference to war evidently refers to the Spanish-American War:


Galveston, Texas
March 8th, 1898

My dear daughter:

Your nice letter came yesterday & I am so delighted that you came out so well in your examination. I do feel hurt tho' because Sam is not next to you (I mean because he is not second best). Yesterday I came to stay at the St. Mary's Infirmary because I could not like the Sealy Hospital. They are not prepared for private patients-____. I do not like to have ____ (that is the nurses and all do not) except Dr. Paine & he didn't want me to come here, but I came anyhow. He is a fine old gentleman, but he has a head as hard as a rock. I wish you could walk into my pretty room with its large east window & elegant furniture tho' simple after all. The Sisters of Charity do all the nursing & oh they are so gentle and kind. My meals are beautifully served in lovely china. I can look down on a pretty yard with green grass, trees, and pretty flowers growing in it. Among other things there are such handsome palms with leaves as long as a parasol. The day we got to Galveston we went out for a sail on a real sailboat. It would roll & dip about on the waves & I was so 'fraid it would turn over, but it didn't. How I did wish for you all & the dear children. We also viewed the big gun & I talked with one of Uncle Sam's soldiers a little. He was mighty proud of his blue coat & gun & I told him if we did have war I expected they'd be in front of the whole crowd of runners except me, for on such occasions as fire etc. I generally lead everything as a person "of fleetfootedness." Enough of foolishness for one letter. Tell your dear mother that her fame as a cakemaker has spread abroad in the land & is fully established at Sealy Hospital. All who tasted it praised it greatly. Here I waited to listen to a voice oh so sweet! chanting somewhere, I suppose over in the Chapel. I can't hear the words but the sweet rich melody rises & sweeps over the air like great billows of melody. For fear of tiring you, I will stop. Any time you can write, any of you, I shall be grateful. Give my love to all the friends and kiss the little ones for their homesick mother. With love for you all I am as ever
Yours, Mary Tillett -







No comments:

Post a Comment