23 May 2009

Mississippi & Alabama coast travel nostalgia

Does anyone besides me fondly remember eating at the Friendship House Restaurant, on the way to Gulf Shores?

This is the only image I could find on line.  If you ignore the artsy woman with dog, it does look vaguely like I remember.  I didn't know it was a motel, too.  Wonder what happened to the restaurant.

This is kind of funny, but do y'all remember how everyone got excited about eating the free crackers (& butter) that most restaurants provided when you sat down?

In Gulf Shores in the early days, I loved The Dunes restaurant.  I have a black and white picture of the front of it somewhere, if it didn't get torn up by the non-archivally safe album it was in.  Jumbo fried shrimp---yum.

And does anyone remember how we used to have to use dirty, un-air-conditioned "filling station" bathrooms when traveling?  But then we could get a soft drink (in a glass bottle), from the vending machine.  What a treat!  I can still taste the Nehi grape, for some reason, and the occasional Barq's root beer!

2 comments:

  1. Here is Dad's comment:

    I have no idea whether the Friendship House is still there. In re The Dunes, I can remember the butterfly shrimp, too. And they had the best cole slaw that I have ever eaten. A long, long time ago! You didn't mention Meme's, but I am sure that is a plus in your memory bank! One of the last times that we went there, Alan was three months old, and propped up against the wall while we ate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Propped up against the wall" - I believe this refers to an angled infant seat, sitting on the floor!

      Delete