30 January 2009

Vincent Shelton Morgan's 1892 letter

Here is the third letter in the trio having to do with the trip made by Lawrence Hill to visit his Aunt Lizzie and cousins in southwest Virginia. Vincent S. Morgan (1818-1894) was the patriarch of the Morgan clan at this point in time; he had served as a State legislator, as well as Smyth County sheriff. He was called Uncle Vint by his nieces and nephews.

His great-grandson told me recently that Vincent Shelton Morgan was wealthy, at least in terms of land ownership. He lives today on part of that land, the Morgan farm, in the vicinity of Saltville.

"Mattie" referred to here was one of V. S. Morgan's three children, Martha Elizabeth Morgan Miles. She was a first cousin of Lawrence Hill's mother, Onie Morgan Covington. The son-in-law referred to here was Mattie's husband and quite an accomplished man, George Miles.

Marion, Va.
Nov. 22nd, 1892
Dear Onie,

I just got home yesterday from a visit to Mattie & found your letter awaiting me. Lawrence is here & well & hearty. He can stay here until it is convenient for you to send him money to go home, he is no incumbrance to us. I would lend him the money to go home if I were in a condition to do so provided he wanted it, but I will say in all frankness that I am not able to do so. Money matters are closer with me now than they have been for many years. One reason is I have been trying to help my son-in-law put up buildings for a school, I feel that I am almost compelled to go South this winter if I am able & I shall be pressed to arrange my business & raise the money to pay my expenses.

I was very glad to hear you were all well & getting along fairly well. I am getting quite feeble & my eyesight very bad- rest of my family all well. With best wishes & hoping to hear from you whenever convenient. I remain your uncle,

V. S. Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment