29 January 2009

Lawrence Hill's letter - Circa 1892

A few editorial notes to go with this letter:

Lawrence was about 14 years old in 1892, the year of his trip from Texas to Virginia. He may have been "slow" for his age. Nonetheless, I think this is a charming letter; and I'm so glad that it was saved for us to enjoy, along with the two letters from the adults in Va. [After Ione Morgan Covington died, these things were kept by her son Alto & his wife Effie Covington.]

Lawrence's reference to "cars" means, of course, train cars.

Agnes and Kate are Rev. McCluer's daughters, half-sisters to the children of Lizzie Morgan McCluer & Uncas McCluer. Evidently Kate was away from home during this period; she was 17 yrs old. The other McCluer children & their approx. ages in 1892 were Lacy, age 10; twins Netta & Patty (given name Mattie), age 8; Morgan, age 3; and Robert "Dabney," infant....These five children were first cousins to Onie Covington's children.

An endearing bonus is the page devoted to Lawrence's little sister Cassie Shapard, who was 4 years old at the time. And the reference to "brother" would be to Morgan Covington, who was 1 year old. The last postscript is inquiring about their dog & horses, I presume! Oh, and "Mattie & Vera" are other Texas cousins, children of Emma Morgan Mixon, I think.

I couldn't understand the postscript he wrote to his mother.

Well Mamma I wrote you a letter last night and will write some more to night. I went to the Store this eve and got a par of drawers you sent me. I had to send 9ct. to Abilene to the P.O. Master to put on that bundle. he wrote me a card that there was not a nough Stamps. You thought Agnes was little. She is biger than I. I got acquainted with Some boys here. Aunt Lizzie looks like Aunt Alice. Lacy got a letter from Kate. She said I [was] bold to come here by myself. At Memphis I saw the lectricity. Cars crosed the Mississippi River at night but got to see it. did not take any cold. did not get sick. any way enjoyed my trip fine. went throu one Tunnel it like to made me deaf the Cars sound so loud. I am sory Mr. Harrel house got burnd down heap rather it would have ben Trents. is halken rider or what ever his name is going to mary Julia Trent? it has ben cold and wet wether untill the last 2 or 3 days but think it is fixin up for bad agane. I haven't ben homesick any yet feel like I am at home. well I can't think of any more so I will close. your ever loving Son Lawrence Hill

Postscript I guess you think I can back the boss [?] letters.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sister I will write to you a litle letter. Morgan is a bout your size. have you got your litle Waggon and your tu dolls? Aunt Lizzie says you are geting pretyer than you was. are you and brther well? Uncle Mc. says I will hft to [be] a litle patent with Morgan. he is so much like I usted to be. the Twins are so much a like that I can't tell them apart without examimine closely. have you ben to see Mattie and Vera? I will close. your loving broter good Night Lawrence Hill

Postscript how is Shep ageting a long and the Horces?


No comments:

Post a Comment