21 October 2010

Visited Tuskegee last year

A few days after Christmas last year, I made a half-day visit to Tuskegee, Alabama, home of the Campbell family. It sits on a sort of high ridge, between Montgomery and Auburn.

I took pictures of the large First Baptist Church on Main Street, built in the 1850s, where Ava Lucerne Campbell (Granny) got married in 1884 to David Graham Hill of Texas. I had planned to take the tour of The Oaks, Booker T. Washington's home, but the National Park Service had closed the house that day. I took pictures of the town square and Macon County courthouse; and I spent quite a while in the Tuskegee Cemetery photographing the graves of our ancestors and their relatives, which included Granny's parents, her paternal grandparents, and the Wright family. I didn't have time to visit the Tuskegee University campus, since I had a long drive ahead of me.

Early in January I visited our cousin Gloria in Louisiana. She has a painting which her father David Gatlin Hill (Uncle Dege) made, based upon memory, of the Campbells' home. Amazingly, the house in this photo caught my attention in Tuskegee, and its architecture is remarkably similar to the real Campbell home in the painting -- which reportedly burned down a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment